Just sharing my case about this issue. There are definitely more causes for this issue.
During a automated patch window I faced a 2016 server which was installed 04-2018 and did never had any updates. No luck with SCCM, the updates just did not appear with the message: “getupdateinfo – failed to get targeted update, error = 0x87d00215”
So I decided to patch this server manually. But the installer get stuck on: “Searching for updates on this server”.
The following steps did the trick:
- Trying to stop the Windows Update and SMS Host agent service in Services.msc.
- No luck. Services hanged on “stopping”.
- Killed both PID’s with process explorer.
- Delete c:\windows\softwaredistribution
- Clearing SCCM Cache.
- Disable SMS Host agent service.
- Now the manual updates where working again.
After installing 2018-05 and the newest “servicing stack” update everything was working again.